.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tillabooks: Will's Book Blog

Friday, August 14, 2009

Changes to this blog

Hello to anyone reading this blog:

This has been my "books I've read" blog for the past six years. Starting in August, 2003, I began writing blog entries, brief (and sometimes NOT so brief) reviews of EVERY book I read. Which is and has been a pretty major undertaking, since I'm an inveterate bookworm, always reading, often reading half a dozen books at any given time. I almost never go anywhere--even to the grocery story--without a book in hand.

So, it has always been a challenge to keep up with my reading here on the blog. Taking the time to not just say something quick or facile about each book, but to try and say something that I had thought through, and that might be helpful to someone else considering whether or not to read that book. I'm not sure I even managed to accomplish that goal on a regular basis, but that was my intent.

In the past year or so it has gotten even harder, and frankly, I just plain haven't been able to keep up. There are too many other things vying for my time. I've been struggling just to get the library books I've read blogged before they charge me for the book, since I've had it out so long. Luckily my library has never charged fines, but coming this fall, they're going to start, so there's another reason. Plus, any books that I actually own, or that friends or relatives have loaned me, and that I've read, simply pile up on the floor in front of my desk, waiting to be blogged--waiting, waiting, and still waiting. I don't think I've gotten any of those blogged for well over a year now.

Consequently, I've made the difficult (for me, at least) decision to abandon the notion of blogging every book I read, at least for now. Instead, I plan to blog a book once in a while, books that made a particular impression on me, or that I think are especially worthy of my taking the time to write about for one reason or another, or maybe just because I think I have something in mind that I'd like to say about the book, and all I have to do is sit down and hammer it out.

In the meantime, I'll be keeping track of my reading over on Goodreads.com. You can follow my recent (and some not so recent) reading here: http://www.goodreads.com/tillabooks. Why do I keep using "Tillabooks" as the name for my online book sites? Because I started the Tillabooks book blog while I was living in Tillamook, Oregon, working for the library there, and I just liked the word "Tillabooks" which I thought up one day.

So hop on over to my Goodreads page to see what I've been reading lately, and also to see a list of all the stuff I've read over the past year or two that hasn't made it onto the blog here yet. Anything I've finished lately will have a "read" date attached to it. The rest is all older stuff.

And once in a while, I still hope to post a review here as well. We'll see how that goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home