.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tillabooks: Will's Book Blog

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Vivaldi's Virgins by Barbara Quick

Vivaldi's Virgins by Barbara Quick. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 2007. ISBN: 978-0-06-089052-0

This book may be more for women and girls than for men and boys, but I enjoyed it, nonetheless. It's also for music lovers, set as it is, in the girl's school in eighteenth-century Venice where Antonio Vivaldi, the so-called “Red Priest,” served as Maestro extraordinaire.

The story centers around one of the orphan foundlings, growing up as a gifted violinist, but constantly hungering for knowledge of her family, and her missing mother. Who might they be? Why was she abandoned on the steps of the school? Will she find love? Will she find her family? Will she be allowed to take her musical gifts out into the wider world?

It's a passionate story set in the lush, gilded Venice of the time. Not great literature perhaps, but definitely worth a read.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hi Will! Thanks for the very nice review, which you posted, as it happens, on my birthday.

    Your readers might enjoy a visit to my web site, where they can see a book trailer, download a podcast of Vivaldi's music, and read more about 18th century Venice and how this novel came to be written.

    All best,
    Barbara
    http://www.BarbaraQuick.com

    By Blogger Barbara Quick, at 9:33 PM  

  • Barbara,

    You're welcome, and thank YOU for commenting on my blog. It's always exciting for me when an author comments on one of my posts.

    I went ahead and linked your name in my posting to your web site. I used to try to do that faithfully for every post, find an author site, if one was available and link to it, but recently I'm often too busy and short of time, so it often doesn't happen.

    Will

    By Blogger Will, at 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home