.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tillabooks: Will's Book Blog

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Three by Jack McDevitt

Well, except for the lighthouse field guide I just posted, it's been several months since any new book reviews have been posted here. But that doesn't mean I've stopped reading in all that time. Far from it! Bookworm that I am, I can no more stop reading than I can stop eating or breathing or sleeping.

No, I've just gotten overwhelmed with the other activities in my life, and I haven't found the time to write about the books I've been reading. So, to get caught up, I'm going to resort to a succinct listing of the books, with just brief comments or recommendations regarding them. So here goes:

Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt. New York: HarperPrism, 2000. ISBN: 0-06-105123-3

Chindi by Jack McDevitt. New York: Ace Books, 2002. ISBN: 0-441-00938-7.

Polaris by Jack McDevitt. New York: Ace Books, 2004. ISBN: 0-441-01202-7

Now this is science fiction—really hard science fiction—as it should be! Jack McDevitt is one of my new favorites, and this is my first stab at catching up on everything he's written so far. Chindi is another Academy (Priscilla Hutchins) novel. Polaris and Infinity Beach are both set much further in the future, a thousand years or so, when human-kind has spread throughout the stars. But people are still people! And they still behave in human ways.

This trio of novels share two overlapping themes. Chindi and Infinity Beach are both exciting adventures on the quest to find another nonhuman sentient race, another civilization out there among the stars. And both Infinity Beach and Polaris are science fiction mysteries. In Polaris the passengers on a luxury space yacht just disappear. What happened to them? Were they abducted by aliens? In Infinity Beach, four missing persons, a mysterious explosion, and a an ill-fated search for aliens some years before lay down a baffling set of clues that may lead to an alien encounter.

All three of these books are highly recommended for all science fiction fans. Any mystery readers who don't mind a SciFi setting will probably enjoy them as well.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home