.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tillabooks: Will's Book Blog

Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Black Silent by David Dun

The Black Silent by David Dun. New York: Pinnacle Books, 2005. ISBN: not listed.

This one's not on the Washington Reads list of whodunits set in the state, but I found it on the shelf nearby, and thought it looked interesting. Unfortunately, it didn't pass muster with me. I read about 90 pages during lunch today, and decided I couldn't be bothered to finish it.

It's a thriller, and a page turner, don't get me wrong. The action is pretty much nonstop, from the opening pages, which describe someone trying to kill a scientist underwater, scuba diving. No sooner does he get back to his lab (it's on the weekend) when more people appear, trying to take him captive.

Turns out he's discovered some kind of formula for eternal or extended life, and the company he works for is trying to get the formula from him, and he's trying to prevent them from doing so. Then the “law” shows up, in the person of a deputized sheriff, who is actually on the payroll of the company, a really bad apple, who's got the rest of the officers following his orders, albeit reluctantly at times.

But there just happens to be a recuperating rogue former FBI agent (I guess that's how you might describe him) hanging around who teams up with the scientist's adopted daughter, and they start fighting back. Blood and mayhem follow.

All of this is taking place in the beautiful setting of the San Juan Islands. But I need more than that to get me to read a book these days. If all you care about is action, this book is for you. But if you want more, some meaning, plausible story lines, something to catch and grab you, well, for me at least, this book ain't got it. I wish the setting were enough, but it's not. Not for me. Only marginally recommended. If a techno-thriller with a San Juan Islands setting is your cup of tea, go for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home