.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tillabooks: Will's Book Blog

Monday, July 11, 2005

Last Call for Blackford Oakes

Last Call for Blackford Oakes by William F. Buckley, Jr. Orlando, Austin, New York, San Diego, Toronto, London: Harcourt, Inc., 2005. ISBN: 0-15-10108-4

This is the latest, and presumably last, in a long line of Blackford Oakes spy thrillers by conservative author William F. Buckley. While I disagree with Buckley politically on just about everything, he can write OK spy novels. I've been a reluctant fan of Oakes for some years. Not to say these rise to the level of John le Carre, as they most assuredly don't, but they place in a fairly strong second or third tier. And besides, I always tell myself I’m reading them to see just what the other side is up to. Specious rationalization, but mine own.

So why do I say this is presumably the last Blackford Oakes novel? Because–whoops, I can’t say why without giving away too much of the plot. Half-heartedly recommended. You might want to look up the previous titles and read them first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home