.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tillabooks: Will's Book Blog

Sunday, December 26, 2004

How I Fell in Love with a Librarian and Lived to Tell About It

How I Fell in Love with a Librarian and Lived to Tell About It by Rhett Ellis. Semmes, Alabama: Sparkling Bay Books, 2003. ISBN: 0-9670631-4-0

It was the title that got me, of course. No librarian could resist it. My extensive library system didn't have a copy, however, and I had to request the book via ILL (InterLibrary Loan). When I eventually got my copy, it had come all the way from the Phoenix Public Library, a wonderful building I have visited several times a couple of job incarnations ago.

This thin, inoffensive little book took little more than a single evening to get through. A nice enough story involves a local church pastor who falls in love with the town's new librarian, a stunningly beautiful younger woman who strangely seems to have another darker, less attractive side. Much of the story is spent in untangling this minor mystery, which is not, in the end, especially plausible.

The book apparently falls into the genre of religious fiction, with simple religious (read Protestant Christian) messages imbedded haphazardly here and there throughout. Not especially recommended, except to librarians, who, like me, just can't resist the title.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home