.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tillabooks: Will's Book Blog

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Justice Hall by Laurie R. King. New York: Bantam Books, 2002. ISBN: 0-553-11113-2

Laurie King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes books just keep getting better and better. This one was the best yet. As I pointed out a couple of blog entries ago, all that really means is that I liked it the best yet. Whether or not you will, depends on your taste. But if you enjoy the English style mystery, as exemplified by such practitioners as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, or Dorothy Sayers, I feel confident in my assertion that you'll enjoy Laurie King's Mary Russell novels.

In The Moor (blogged April 3, 2004), our young protagonist spent much of her time traipsing about a rainy moor, cold, wet and often bedraggled. Fortunately, the setting this time around is more conducive to pleasant living: the country home and estate of one of England's oldest and richest members of the nobility. It may well have been this opulent setting that made me enjoy the book so much, although I found the story and its development richly rewarding as well. Only the finale, the exposure of the actual criminal, was slightly disappointing, although I can't really say much about that without giving it away, which would never do.

For a complete listing of the Mary Russell books, see my entry from January 12, 2004. And do read these books! You mystery fans won't be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home